VIKING POWER!

My friend Mari sent me a post card of wisdom that I received when I got home Sunday night. The Postcard has Viking Laws, and I love it even more for two details. The FIRST is that she taped two pins to it. One says:



Eat My Pants



and the other:



Sverige sugar (translation: Sweden Blows) *snort*





For the record, I am as much Swedish as I am Norwegian, though I've known much more about my Norwegian roots, as that grandma is the one I spent so much time with, and now I have a Norwegian friend/writing sister. But I actually adore this cute little rivalry... I note that it doesn't say DENMARK blows (which is where the actual animosity has a reason to exist, since those pesky Danes spent so many centuries trying to inflict rule on Norway, so I have to think this is more a sibling rivalry kind of thing, and THAT is why I can find it fun.



But the OTHER feature I love about this postcard, is Mari crossed out the word 'Viking' and wrote 'Writer', and then checked them off for me.



*hugs Mari *





So I want to share them with you, so you can become honorary Norsisima with me.





Viking Writer Laws


§1 BE BRAVE AND AGGRESSIVE


Be direct

Grab all opportunities

Use varying methods of attack

Be versatile and agile

Attack one target at a time

Don't plan everything in detail

Use top quality weapons



§2 BE PREPARED


Keep weapons in good conditions

Keep in good shape

Find good battle comrades

Agree on important points

Choose one chief agent



§3 BE A GOOD MERCHANT


Find out what the market needs

Don't promise what you can't keep

Don't demand overpayment

Arrange things so that you can return



§4 KEEP THE CAMP IN ORDER


Keep things tidy and organized

Arrange enjoyable activities which strengthen the group

Make sure everybody does useful work

Consult all members of the group for advice





I ADORE this applied to writing. Mari the Superstar checked me off on all of them, but I can see the benefit of a little more critical analysis.





§1: I feel like here I am doing pretty well—at least since taking on this cozy mystery project, which sort of embodies the spirit of this, I think... a chance came along and I am trying to make the very best of the opportunity, using all my resources... I'm adapting... a ninja of bendiness!



§2: I think here I've done pretty well too. I keep writing ALL the time. I read to try to learn what I don't know (or what I don't even know I need to know—THAT particular pool is VAST). I have the best comrades in the WORLD (and we are all over the world which makes me feel... you know... worldly...)



§3: I think other than feeding into that market assessment thing... I sort of need to write what comes... although I guess this Cozy Mystery thing is another way I am doing this... it is the niche where (hopefully) I can break in.. meeting demand. I also am being extremely careful to be as professional as possible, so I am ALWAYS invited back: provide good work, good product... and hope they want me.



§4: Here I fall down. I have sort of a free form approach to order, and I'm not sure anyone else would recognize it as such. I DO try to hold activities which strengthen the group... but I am not much of a dictator (Naked World Domination aspirations aside) and I am likewise sort of bossy—I WILL be the one in charge... when the bossy person is saying things like... “okay, everybody LIMBO!” I don't know how productive that is. It IS a good time though, and while it may not be enough to make me a full-fledged Viking, I'm pretty sure my Norsisima is in tact.