Scrambling

Sometimes the content (of life) is just too great, and you (read: I) find (my)self scrambling to fit everything in.



I used to be able to handle it, and am wondering how on earth it has all gotten away from me.





Real Life Example



I have a teenage daughter. Explains everything, right? This week is her LAST week of Synchronized Swimming (they have the State meet Friday). It is her first week she's been practicing Water Polo (morning practices, because in the afternoon she has synchro. Then, 4-6 she has driver's ed (which overlaps with her syncho practice from 5-7). Then, TONIGHT, she has DRIVING from 7-9, and it is too far to walk in 0 minutes (in fact for a veteran walker like me, it would probably take 20, so for my daughter we're talking about 90 minutes). AND (this is the biggie, pay attention) my husband took our only car in for repairs yesterday and it will be some time TOMORROW before we have it back. Three overlapping events and nary a vehicle to go between.



How did we solve this? We'll after a lot of yelling about who was the idiot who scheduled all these things like this *cough*Notme*cough * Well I scheduled some portion of them, but that was before I KNEW when the others were. Then we brainstormed. Then we tested our resources.



The daughter will just have to walk from Driver's Ed to synchro—she doesn't like it, but it's only about 8 blocks. A neighbor is picking her up from synchro and dropping her off for the driving. Then I will meet her after driving and walk home with her (this one is about a mile). It's not ideal, but it all goes in there.



What would I do if I got a Do Over? Schedule Driver's Ed in the SUMMER, no matter HOW MUCH the teen complained that she was eligible now. But there are no refunds, so there you have it. When I signed up, I was accommodating a 6-8 practice, and that CHANGED. How could I have known?





What about the writing?



This is a really lousy, miserable experience. I definitely recommend giving your characters an impossible amount to do in the too little time. The tension of man vs. man and man vs. time (nature) are good for the adrenaline—sort of like a nice shot of cocaine. And be making it move so fast, you are likely to leave out any pesky, boring details (like dinner).





What about the writing? (say, is there an echo in here?)



It also is reminiscent of my word count issues... There are way too many things to fit in, and a finite length in which to fit them. So... from this:



Overlap: if something can serve multiple purposes DO IT.
Brainstorm: Find what can solve this most efficiently
Plan Better/stop over-committing: (A little research could have eased this pain)
List it among your assets: (yes, Wesley) If you know everything you have to work with, that brainstorming is a lot more efficient.
Throw your character in the fire: Letting them suffer a little is good for them.
Accept the Limitations: what you can do is what you can do. A redo will be more profound and successful, surely, but this time around, you just have to get it in there.




Note: I hope to come around a couple times for comments and such today, but my day job is ALSO having a scrambling stage, so I may be scarce on reading and commenting on other people's stuff for a few days here... will try to catch up a little over the weekend...