Happiness

H is a happy letter

H is for hydrangeas, happiness, hedgerow, hips, holly, hawthorn, hellebores, haiku and hearts

Rowanberry Jelly






















H is for hydrangeas ... a photo arrangement I made last year using branches of vintage hydrangeas and my haiku for week 9

A photo from home
Vintage lace petals and a
hedgerow recipe






















H is for happiness

I painted the tag white with watered down household emulsion then layered an oak leaf inked with platinum ink and white glitter, tissue paper, jute, mulberry bark, a vintage hydrangea stem and the word "happiness". The ribbon is hand dyed too






















You know I love to make mosaics and I really enjoyed making this one ...

Hydrangeas in their winter dress





















My tribute to the wonderful and talented artists and photographers whose work is included here. Please click on the links to go to the artists' work

1. Frosty hydrangea 2. Rowanberry jelly 3. Last summer's souvenir 4. Décembre... 5. Hope... 6. Untitled 7. 4-365 Icy hydrangeas 8. Hydrangea 9. Hydrangea 10. Hydrangea dip 11. The hydrangea in winter 12. Frosted hydrangea 13. Hydrangea

H is for hedgerow ... an inchy for the inchy alphabet challenge inspired by the hedgerow and hydrangeas











H is for hips. This is a card Jo gave me of some rosehips. I had fun playing with the hockneyizer on flickr tools to achieve this look ... in the style of David Hockney



















Hips, haws and berries are probably my most favourite things in the world along with seed heads, seeds and pods. I think there's always an excuse for another red berry mosaic






















My tribute to the wonderful and talented artists and photographers whose work is included here. Please click on the links to go to the artists' work

1. Red 2. Red berries on branches 3. June berries! 4. Chilled berries 5. Winterberry echo~ 6. Untitled 7. The P in my BLP 8. My heart lies frozen in the snow 9. Redcurrant jewels

Bowl of skimmia berries. I thought I would have a go at natural dyeing with skimmia berries just to see what happened. I have a jar of skimmia berry dye on my windowsill at the moment. It's nearly ready so I will show you the results soon either here or on the other blog. I'm hoping for an earthy mauve/brown ... a sort of vintage tone as I want to use some of the bits and pieces on my next art doll

















H is for holly and a holly garland I started on one of our Crow Days before Christmas and finished this week. It's made from cream felt with red stitching and "raspberry" beads on jute string. I hung it on my dresser to photograph it but I've already been asked "that's not staying there ... is it?"














My inchy for the letter "H" in the inchy alphabet challenge has a holly theme













Holly is not just for Christmas you know! I love the holly berry fairy painted by Cicely Mary Barker






















I've been doing a little cross stitch but it seems to take me forever to cross stitch even the tiniest of patterns. My favourite cross stitch designers are Derwentwater, Blackbird Designs and Bent Creek. This chart is one of the nature/hedgerow series by Derwentwater called "Holly and Hawthorn"

















I know I shouldn't really fill in with the lighter colour first, but I did in this case because I wanted an idea of the finished size and it helped me to get the shading right for the berries. The leaves are stitched in one strand and two strands of cotton

When it's finished it should look like this ...


















H is for hawthorn. This is the matching hawthorn pattern that I will stitch next


















The Song of the Hawthorn Fairy
These thorny branches bore the May
So many months ago
That when the scattered petals lay
Like drifts of fallen snow
"This is the story's end" you said
But O, not half was told!
For see, my haws are here instead
And hungry birdies shall be fed
On these when days are cold
Cecily Mary Barker






















H is for hearts

I'm making more hearts at the moment and I'll show them once the recipients have them in their mitts

The beautiful heart below is one I received from Robin Olsen in her OWOH giveaway recently. It's really lovely and I have it hanging in my sewing room. Thank you Robin ♥






















And yet I know that Spring is nigh
Although the wind is cold and raw
The sky is softer than it was
The fields have started in to thaw
Putting aside their winter dress
To don their springtime loveliness
Edna Jacques

Hope all our hearts are happy this week

Carolyn ♥