Naughty N

Most of you probably haven't noticed, but for NaBloWriMo, my intention was to follow a pattern of Alliterative Titles. I like alliteration anyway, but there was a certain rightness to dedicating October to my favorite childhood letter “LMNOP”. You see, until about five years of age, I was convinced this was like 'W'--just one long letter.



My problem is N has not been behaving.



Odd, that. A letter I feel such attachment to because of words like Naked, Nude, Naughty, and Nifty, would come up short for titles. The problem is one of nouns, I think. Naked Nerd might very well describe me, but it doesn't have a lot of page appeal. Naughty nuisance? Nude noodle? The things that go with these words just really aren't all that conducive to alliteration.



Sad.



I suspect O might have similar problems.



I suppose though, I should take my lessons where they find me. The general one here is that if you plan to follow a theme, try to test its plausibility before committing. Some plans just aren't meant to be. That seems true for novels, blogs, home decoration, and family vacations. Even a really good idea can fall apart if you don't check some of the details and test the waters a bit.



Speaking of Shuffling details...



LONG LIVE THE POWER WALK!

Friday I grumbled about book 2 of the Trilogy, [working title COINCIDENCE—it is the only one of the three I'm not really happy with]. A certain main character wasn't behaving. In fact I couldn't get her to fall into regular past tense. Everything was past perfect and contemplative. She wouldn't just DO anything.



Saturday's power walk though, resolved the problem. I was starting too late.



LEGACY ends in a certain place (as books will do) and that is the place I was trying to START COINCIDENCE. But both lead characters haven't spoken much, in fact Andrea is brand new (a few sitings from afar notwithstanding). I needed to start earlier, to give her a chance to lay her own groundwork.



I scrapped all I'd done, putting it in a notes stack, so some might show up later, but I started for her with packing to move to Portland, and with Kade at a significant event during LEGACY. (I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you). He too, needs some emotional and psychological grounding before we get to new stuff.



I still wrote a little from the perspective of Andrea's husband, Jim... you see... she's misattributing... poor gal. So I needed to get a feel for what he REALLY was about.



I've managed a chapter and a half now and it isn't the mad flying circus that LEGACY was, but I think it will now flow...



So LONG LIVE THE POWER WALK!




That's my story and I'm sticking with it.