A postcard from Egypt

In 1972, when I was aged 10, I was taken to see The Treasures of Tutankhamun tour and I remember the excitement and amazement I felt at seeing the artifacts from King Tutankhamun's tomb. My fascination with Egyptian things has never left me so I was very excited recently to make my first trip to Egypt

King Tutankhamun

For hubby, it was a chance to soak up some warm winter sunshine. For me, it was the chance to grab myself some souvenirs and I longed to visit the Valley of the Kings and the Museum in Cairo to see those artifacts once again






















heiroglyphics tell
the story of the young boy
king Tutankhamun

1. Statue at Deir el-Bahri 2. Hieroglyphics 3. Tutankhamun discovery 1922 4. Postage stamp - Egypt printed within 1898-1899 5. Tutankhamun Colosus 6. Temple offerings 1 7. Not available 8. Egypt - 0001 9. Nefertiti 1, 10. Eagle Statue 11. 1 Pound [First One] - date of issue: January 5, 1899 12. Not available 13. Colossal statue of Tutankhamun

Thanks to the wonderful and talented artists and photographers whose work is included here. Please click on the links to go to the artists' work






















I had a really lovely holiday in Egypt, unfortunately I wasn't well enough to travel very far so I didn't get to Cairo or Luxor this time. I was ill for several days and then I got several horrific insect bites above my right eye which really affected what I could do. I couldn't even go swimming/snorkelling which was a real shame as the fish and coral in the Red Sea were amazing

Anyway, I managed to pick up lots of bits and pieces to bring home for sketchbooks (for a future project) and, all being well, we are hoping to go again next year so all this has only whetted my appetite for more!

Statues at the Temple of Nefertari at Abu Simbel















I came back with a stash of Egyptian post cards, stamps, coins, bank notes, newspapers, fabrics, pressed flowers, small rocks and lots of photographs

A postcard I made into a postage stamp















Statues on the Egyptian One Pound Note


















Hieroglypics on a bank note

















Egyptian one pound coin with head of King Tut photographed on a book I have about alphabets, scripts and heiroglyphics

















Egyptian one pound coin with head of King Tut

















Interesting architecture on a beautiful Egyptian bank note





















Inspiring patterns in Egyptian textiles























A mosaic of inspiring Egyptian patterns in Textiles
and some fabrics I brought back with me

Click on the mosaic to see the fabrics larger






















Patterns on soft furnishings and lamps






















Beautiful features - a statue I really liked!






















I have lots more Egyptian bits to share. I haven't had a lot of time this week to sort it all out as I've been away with my family for my parents' Golden Wedding celebrations. I have lots to catch up with and I'm behind with blogging/commenting again, but things should settle down now, all being well!

Hope you had a good weekend!

Carolyn ♥