Movie Review/Poll

It's sorta what I got, so go with it, ne?





Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief



While the movie was not the book, which I score as PHENOMENAL, it was definitely worth seeing if you like youth films or hot gods. I missed Ares and Clarisse, and there were some changes from the book, which always bugs me, I think the adaptation was better than most. I'm not positive a person who hadn't read the books would follow every step, though I think it's still clear, but it was a great adventure, and Sean Bean and Pierce Brosnan both took on personas the Tart will definitely be able to work into the fantasy cycle (in fact Pierce Brosnan to me, has typically been too clean cut... melikes him as Horsey Man... The hair in particularly is good, but I won't claim to be lacking in ideas for a centaur)



Also, oddly... Uma Thurman ROCKED as Medusa... the contrast between beautiful and horrible was exquisite.





Shutter Island



This was good, but had the potential to be GREAT if they'd sharpened details. They were intent on fooling the audience (a-okay with me) but some of it felt a little scrapped together. If I was an editor, I would have asked for a couple things to be cleaned up. Premise wise though—very good. And I love Ben Kingsley in a 'is he good? Or is he bad? Or is he good? Roll. He does exceptionally as ambiguous. Though I am slightly disturbed to realize he reminds me of a father of one of my daughter's friends who I am now wondering if he's good or bad... *scratches head *





Nature or Nurture



At ABNA we've had a GRAND debate over whether writers are BORN or whether anyone can gain the skill, and we are therefore MADE. Your Tart is a psychologist by training and inclination and so always offers up the uninformative... “erm,... both?” (be clear I



But I thought maybe you all could help me argue the point. I have some questions I hope EVERYBODY will answer.







1)How old were you when you had your first fantasy of writing novels?

2)How old were you when you began writing FOR FUN? (rather than assignments)

3)When did you start writing SERIOUSLY (like trying to be published)?

4)Where are you in your career? (HAVE you published? How many books have you written?)



I intend to summarize, should I have more than just a few responses, so if you CAN, pass this on.