It may have something to do with the fact that I feel really focused on my work at the moment and also that January always brings that feeling of there being plenty of time to reach all goals
Calendar for January

You know I love my mosaics!
Well, on New Year's Eve I had a very belated challenge to produce some assemblages and a mosaic with a black, white and neutral checkerboard/New Year theme for Avant-Gardenist (interior design) and I thought it would also be nice to make a calendar for January in the same theme
Check

1. Check 2. I think I grew 3. Curiouser and curious, 4. Old checkerboard marble floor, 5. Elements 6. Journal page 7. Yellowbird pendant 1 8. Skeleton watches & pocket keys 9. Cake - Checkerboard layer cake PH0843 10. IMG_3768 11. "Elements" ACEO 12. Newest domino art necklace 13. Knob
All credit goes to the wonderful and talented artists and photographers whose work is included here. Please click on the links to go to the artists' work
Happy New Year

Happy New Year Treasures

This assemblage was made on a draught board with lace and handmade paper. I used scrabble tiles for the "Happy New Year" and a collection of treasures that include a piece of pottery found on St. Ives beach, vintage silver buttons, snowflakes from Sharne and a beautiful sliver of crystal agate from the North Carolina mountains given to me by Cathie at Christmas - I wish you could see how it shines like a mirror!
New - Detail

Ongoing challenges for 2010:
Sketchbooks - a page a day
Cottage - finished this year!
Gardening Monday - 1 to 2 hours on Monday morning
Inchy Challenge - try to make small scale art!
Mosaic Monday - more mosaics
Friday Flickr Faves - even more mosaics
WOW - Ongoing online workshops
Stitching the Textured Surface Workshop - need to finish samples in sketchbook
Crow Days - monthly textile art/craft play days with Jo
Inside a bundle

New challenges for 2010:
Textile art piece with goldwork - I want to make a textile art piece for my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary incorporating contemporary techniques, machine and hand stitching with some more traditional goldwork bits on it. I haven't started it yet ... it has to be finished by the middle of February!
Kiss Quilt - The challenge is to make a small quilt (only 50 cm square) on any theme using fabrics in only two colours and the stitching must only be straight stitch (can be hand or machine stitched). KISS stands for "Keep It Simple Silly". I think I can manage "silly"! The challenge is being organised by Dijanne and has to be finished by the end of March!
Festival of Quilts 2010 - I joined Annabel's group last August. I am making an art quilt for Festival of Quilts 2010 Exhibition. I have been working on ideas, brainstorming and gathering inspiration for my piece. I'm going with a St. Ives theme but will share my ideas with you later. I'm aiming to get mine done by the end of May
Work for Exhibition - Later in the year I will be creating new global warming work to go alongside my existing work for a small show of textile art in early 2011. I need to work on this between July and October
Distress

Slow Cloth - a personal challenge. I'd like to have a larger piece that I can pick up and put down, a slow cloth that will take a long time to stitch, between projects, with lots of hand stitching and beading ... a sampler of sorts and something that I can take on holiday or pick up when I have guests staying at the cottage
Berries in a bundle

The Erosion Bundle Project - The idea is to create an artistic bundle made from materials of your choice and then either hang it outside ie. in a tree, bury it in the ground or just place the bundle somewhere outside to be affected by all elements of Mother Nature, an experiment in decay and decomposition and what happens to the things inside the bundle
1 January - place bundle in nature
In between - share thoughts and photos
15 April - retrieve bundle from nature, open bundle
1 August - finish art piece using your eroded stuff and rejoice
Layers in a bundle

I'm very excited about this project! I first got interested in this when Julie tried it last year!
I made a start on this today. I've made 4 bundles. Two to hang in a tree, one to bury and one to place amongst the leaves behind our shed
Inside my bundles I added various fabrics, papers, magazine pages, rusty objects, bark, rosehips, leaves, tea bags, berries, printed matter, seed pods, sycamore seeds, feathers, tie dyed tissue paper, snippets of text, photographs and distressed tags etc.
I shall put my bundles outside tomorrow - 2nd January 2010



Art dolls - always inspired by nature and the Mother Nature challenge in CPS I want to create a series of art dolls during 2010 with a nature theme
That's enough to be going on with but I know other stuff will creep in too!
Thanks for being so kind to read my ramblings
Have a lovely weekend
Carolyn ♥