
Okay, so I just finished watching the movie "Waitress" and it was overall a great movie - except the ending just killed it for me. I'm going to give away the ending at the end of this review. Don't worry, I'll warn you first.
(Without spoilers)
Funny movie! I really like Nathan Fillion, who played the OB-GYN in the movie, so that was a plus. The characters were all cute and likable - there was a big theme of adultery in this movie, which I don't like, but I tried to overlook it in the spirit of being a good sport :o)
Jenna is a pie-makin' waitress with an awful husband named Earl. The worst part about him is that he actually tries to be what he thinks of as "sweet", but he's possessive, jealous, domineering, and a huge idiot. The movie starts when Jenna realizes she's having her husband's baby, and it ruins her plans of someday running away from her terrible marriage.
Througout the movie, Jenna makes you laugh with random imaginary pies with funny names such as "I Hate My Husband Pie" or "I Don't Want Earl's Baby Pie". Her diner friends are kind of quirky and you take an instant liking to them. The movie was cheerful, and I was happy to see a movie in which the pregnant woman is dreading the birth of this baby because it will ruin her life. (As someone who doesn't want kids, it's nice to see it represented in media - trust me, it's rare.)
**********HERE COMES THE SPOILERS************
SKIP TO THE END OF THE POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE END!
*****
Jenna and her doctor slept together throughout her entire pregnancy, and fell in love with each other. I could forgive Jenna for this since she cannot stand her husband and she's afraid to try to leave him. (The doctor not so much, since he was married and not unhappily so.)
Now, since Jenna was so resentful of this unborn baby, I was hoping she would leave it and Earl at the same time and somehow be able to run away with her doctor. But noooooooo. Just like most damn movies, she "falls in love" with her baby as soon as she sees it. Very upsetting, since I was happy to see a heroine who didn't want any offspring and she just did a 180 there. So, then she tells Earl she wants a divorce. Yay! A very good thing. And then she goes and breaks up with the doctor, completely ignoring and forsaking the obvious love she feels towards him to devote herself to this newborn that she didn't even want 24 hours ago. I guess I'm just disappointed. Obviously loving your baby is not a bad thing - it's just in damn near every movie. I was excited because I thought that this would be something different, and it wasn't.
***********************END SPOILERS************
Anyways, the majority of the movie was cute and funny. Jenna's a very real and likable character, as well as her friends. And if you're pro-child-bearing, I'm sure you'll like this movie even more than I did :o)
4 stars out of 5 I suppose
~Sarah
(Without spoilers)
Funny movie! I really like Nathan Fillion, who played the OB-GYN in the movie, so that was a plus. The characters were all cute and likable - there was a big theme of adultery in this movie, which I don't like, but I tried to overlook it in the spirit of being a good sport :o)
Jenna is a pie-makin' waitress with an awful husband named Earl. The worst part about him is that he actually tries to be what he thinks of as "sweet", but he's possessive, jealous, domineering, and a huge idiot. The movie starts when Jenna realizes she's having her husband's baby, and it ruins her plans of someday running away from her terrible marriage.
Througout the movie, Jenna makes you laugh with random imaginary pies with funny names such as "I Hate My Husband Pie" or "I Don't Want Earl's Baby Pie". Her diner friends are kind of quirky and you take an instant liking to them. The movie was cheerful, and I was happy to see a movie in which the pregnant woman is dreading the birth of this baby because it will ruin her life. (As someone who doesn't want kids, it's nice to see it represented in media - trust me, it's rare.)
**********HERE COMES THE SPOILERS************
SKIP TO THE END OF THE POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE END!
*****
Jenna and her doctor slept together throughout her entire pregnancy, and fell in love with each other. I could forgive Jenna for this since she cannot stand her husband and she's afraid to try to leave him. (The doctor not so much, since he was married and not unhappily so.)
Now, since Jenna was so resentful of this unborn baby, I was hoping she would leave it and Earl at the same time and somehow be able to run away with her doctor. But noooooooo. Just like most damn movies, she "falls in love" with her baby as soon as she sees it. Very upsetting, since I was happy to see a heroine who didn't want any offspring and she just did a 180 there. So, then she tells Earl she wants a divorce. Yay! A very good thing. And then she goes and breaks up with the doctor, completely ignoring and forsaking the obvious love she feels towards him to devote herself to this newborn that she didn't even want 24 hours ago. I guess I'm just disappointed. Obviously loving your baby is not a bad thing - it's just in damn near every movie. I was excited because I thought that this would be something different, and it wasn't.
***********************END SPOILERS************
Anyways, the majority of the movie was cute and funny. Jenna's a very real and likable character, as well as her friends. And if you're pro-child-bearing, I'm sure you'll like this movie even more than I did :o)
4 stars out of 5 I suppose
~Sarah