
Actually… at the mo’ it feels more like there are great thunderous misbehaving hoards in my noggin and they are NOT obeying my commands to organize into teams and play nicely. I had a couple ideas… a couple blogs handwritten… but I can’t summon discipline or attention at the moment, so I think I just need to call the bogeys out as I see them.
Mixed Nuts

Today would have been my grandpa’s 90th birthday, and until I was 24, I was the only granddaughter. He and I shared the illusion that I could do no wrong, and it was a pretty groovy thing. I remember walking on the beach with my grandpa and cousins, and grandpa reminded us, as we threw rocks in the lake, to be careful, but I hit my cousin Gerry in the head with one anyway. It was an accident—poor throwing skills, not malice. But I couldn’t fess up. You know what grandpa’s version was? The fish were throwing rocks back at Gerry. I went with it. I think I was 35 when I learned that Gerry KNEW it had been me.
I adore my extended family—aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins’ spouses—the lot of them. Why then, can I not seem to get along with my mother? Just asking.
School Approaches
And then my whole family will be students shortly… My husband, at almost 47, is increasing his course load from one to two… he is taking prerequisites to go to nursing school and I am incredibly proud of him. You see… it’s taken a long time for that dream of being a punk rock star to die (23 years) and in all this time, nothing has sounded to him like it was worth working to become. He’s had JOBS, but no career ever seemed worthy. And then there was that whole math-phobia thing… but he got an A- in his first class and a B in his second… so he will do fine. It is just a shift in family role identity beginning, and it is a little strange. To top it off, my daughter started work outs with the high school swim team this week, so is officially in high school, even if her classes don’t start until after Labor Day, and my son starts middle school… transitions all round… Sure be nice to add “mom gets writing contract” to that, wouldn’t it? Just throwing that out there so the publishing gods can consider the beauty of stories that have all their loose ends tied…
But whatever the case… not feeling so much like my themes I’d worked out WORKED today, so I was compelled to ramble…
Forgive me…