I am relatively new to Jane Austen. I have seen Sense and Sensibility (years ago and hardly remember it). I have seen the newer movie of Pride and Prejudice and found it extremely lacking. And then I had the fortune to watch the BBC Pride and Prejudice, and fell in love. I am now reading the novel for the first time and finding it incredibly enjoyable.
Therefore, when I heard about a British "series" called Lost in Austen, I thought it might be fantastic. It's about a young modern woman named Amanda Price who discovers a door in her apartment that allows her to trade places with the famous Elizabeth Bennett. And from that point on, the whole thing just went to crap.
I will try to refrain from spoilers, but as Amanda herself once said in the movie, Jane Austen must be spinning in her grave. It completely diverged from every main storyline and just did it's own thing. Amanda completely ruins the story line, and by the end it is, more or less, repaired. But the three hours I spent watching this movie were not gladly spent. I was frequently just pulling my hair out, yelling at the TV that so-and-so would never do those things! Besides storyline changes, characters were completely altered and it was more infuriating than enjoyable.
I'm sad to say that I do not recommend Lost in Austen to anyone, especially if they enjoy the story of Pride and Prejudice in it's original form.
2 out of 5 stars.
~Sarah