Well, I have finally watched the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. I admit, I avoided this one for a long time due to it's length - it was at least 5 hours long. Luckily, it didn't feel 5 hours long.
This DVD set is well-worth the watch, at least for someone who has yet to read P&P in its entirety. I won't comment on plot - the story is well-known. The feisty and headstrong Elizabeth Bennett meets the prideful and stoic Mr. Darcy, and clash immediately. Eventually, they learn new things about each other and fall in love, against the wishes of Mr. Darcy's wealthy aunt. I will say, however, that the characters in the DVD we very well portrayed - I especially enjoyed Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. He was able to convey a lot of depth and feeling with few words. I at times was rooting for certain characters, as well as ranting that some of the characters were being to blatantly foolish (ahem...Lydia...ahem...). Getting involved with the characters and storyline is important to me, so it gets big points there. I really don't have a complaint with the movie at all, in fact.
I will definitely purchase the DVD set (I watched it at a friend's house), and I look forward to spending a long, lazy afternoon watching it, perhaps while I crochet or clean. (And for the record, this is infinitely better than the newer version that stars Keira Knightly.)
4.5 / 5 stars